Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I Want My Children's Lunch

Warm and creamy risotto, a chewy organic granola bar and a banana. Now that's what I would want for a school lunch! They've gotten tired of the natural peanut butter and juice sweetened jam on whole sprouted wheat bread. It's nice, on these cooling days, for them to open a hot thermos of comfort food to warm their little bodies. Of course, I kept some risotto home for myself. Here's a recipe for my kids favorite risotto:
add 3 tbs each of butter and olive oil to a large pot or saucepan. Stir in 2 chopped onions, 2 sticks of celery with the leaves, 2 chopped carrots and 2 cups chopped spinach. Once veggies are cooked, add 2 cups of Arborio rice and let cook for a few minutes. Have ready a pot of hot stock (about 67oz) with some white or red wine added for flavor. Add a ladle full at a time to the rice stirring well and letting absorb before adding more. Once your rice is the right texture(we like it nice and soupy with a little firmness) add remaining butter and as much Parmesan cheese as you like! Sometimes we add toasted pine nuts or walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment