Thursday, February 9, 2012

It's Ok to Have Limits

It was so good to have that conversation with the kids yesterday. They need to know that we are people who have limits. They put forth the effort to make their day complaint free and we all had a much better day. You have to set boundaries with adults as well. I received an email from a subject teacher at the school last night. Oliver is not doing very well in this particular subject and is doing his usual routine of distracting himself taking the class along with him. Not ok with me! She suggested tutoring. I would love to get my son some extra help but alas we are tapped out. I let her know how I can support her, asked if the tutoring were free and said I could follow through with him at home if he's acted up. I let her know that we already spend more than we can afford to give our children this education and we have more than exceeded our limit. No, it's not free I was informed. Ok, but lets make sure that the kids who can't afford outside tutoring, music lessons etc, are not treated disapprovingly for that reason. It's really hard to hear that on top of spending in excess of 1000 a month we also need to provide special tutoring. It's just not feasible for us. The best I can do is to make sure I check in with the teachers and help support them in ways that do NOT cost more money. This is where I draw the line.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I would like an explanation on how this "subject" class fits the "simplicity parenting" campaign?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Teena. I think we as parents have to just no when to say "no, that doesn't work for my family". It's hard, we want to do the best we can for our kids but I believe I am.

    ReplyDelete